Handle with Care
Touching any part of the poison oak, ivy or sumac plant — including its leaves, roots, flowers, berries, and vines — will expose you to urushiol, a toxic resin that can irritate your skin and cause rashes. Extreme care should be taken to ensure no skin contact is made with any part of the plant.
Clothing and tools should be washed after handling this plant, as urushiol can remain active on surfaces — including dead poison oak / ivy / sumac plants — for years.
Never Burn Poison Oak
Inhaling the fumes from a burning poison oak plant can result in severe respiratory problems and harmful whole-body reactions.